Dr. Ademisoye Kehinde
Breast feeding is an unequaled way by which the ideal food necessary for the growth and development of a baby is provided.
This remains the recommended standard for infant feeding. Despite improvement in various artificial formula feeds, it is still the best form of feeding for a baby.
The breast milk contains water, proteins, energy and vitamins just in the adequate quantities required by the baby.
It is an unparalleled way of feeding the infants because of the following benefits;
READ ALSO: The use and benefits of contraceptives
BENEFITS TO THE BABY
- Boosts immunity against infection especially the colostrum.
- Reduces the risk of the baby developing allergies, asthma diabetes mellitus and hypertension later in life.
- Allows mother and child to bond
- It comes with the right taste and temperature for the child.
- Easily digestible
- Prevents childhood cancers especially lymphomas
- Results in a more intelligent child.
BENEFITS TO THE MOTHER
- Cheaper than formula feed
- Serves as a form of contraception
- Reduces the risk of developing breast cancer
It is recommended that a woman should exclusively breastfeed her baby for the first 6 months of life, after which other complementary feeds are introduced and continue up to 2 years.